Apple has hired Tim Dashwood, the author of a series of 3D and 360 VR plugins for video editing software. Dashwood has since made his existing plugins for apps such as Final Cut Pro X free to download.
Sunday, April 23, 2017
In 2014, Uber was discovered to be blocking authorities from seeing its cars in order to evade regulations or bans in a series of locations including Paris, Las Vegas, China and South Korea. The next year, Apple found out Uber was also flouting its iOS developer rules to identify users' devices by hardware ID—and nearly got kicked out of the App Store over it.
ExclusiveLowest price anywhere! 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in Space Gray for $1,599 ($200 off) with no tax in 48 states
B&H Photo is taking $200 off Apple's Late 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar in Space Gray exclusively for AI readers. Now $1,599.00, each MacBook Pro also comes with free expedited shipping. Plus, B&H will not collect sales tax outside NY and NJ, making this the lowest price available from an authorized reseller.
Saturday, April 22, 2017
In recognition of today's Earth Day, Apple created an "Earth Day Challenge" to reward reaching 30 minutes of exercise on the day with a special achievement badge in the Activity app, as well as stickers for use within iMessage.
Days after an error led to false iCloud cancellation emails sent to subscribers, Apple has followed up with another note apologizing for the bug, and reassuring them that their plan remains in good standing.
There's a lot of talk about Apple's shift to a new screen technology with the "iPhone 8," but fewer conversations about how it will all work — AppleInsider explains what changes Apple will likely need to make to implement the technology, while retaining Touch ID on the front of the rumored edge-to-edge screen on the device.
Ahead of Earth Day, Apple went on an environmental publicity blitz, most notably promising to eventually make products entirely out of recycled materials. Rumors about specific projects like the "iPhone 8" continued, meanwhile, and a new version of the Apple Watch appeared: the Apple Watch NikeLab.
ExclusiveKiller Deals: Save $150 to $390 instantly on Apple's new Touch Bar MacBook Pros with Apple Care, plus no tax in 48 states
First come, first served: AppleInsider readers can use exclusive coupons this week to instantly save between $150 and $390 on every possible configuration of Apple's new Late 2016 MacBook Pros bundled with AppleCare, including all 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models and all 15" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar models. Plus sales tax isn't collected in 48 states.
The year-old flagship Apple Store at Union Square in San Francisco was closed down today due to a massive power outage that affected around 90,000 other customers, shut down some subway stations and turned off traffic lights that snarled many busy intersections.
On Friday, a report revealed snippets of Apple's California Department of Motor Vehicles self-driving car application, offering insight into the company's autonomous vehicle project. A full copy of the document has been shared with AppleInsider.
Documents filed as part of Apple's application to test self-driving cars in California were revealed on Friday and offer a first look at the company's autonomous platform, dubbed the "Automated System."
Prominent U.K. newspaper The Guardian on Friday pulled out of two major app-based initiatives, Apple News and Facebook Instant Articles, in a bid to reclaim revenue.
Apple has reportedly hired two executives from Google's satellite division to head up "a new hardware team," with goals that are still unclear.
Photoshop World 2017 Deals: Pre-order the latest cameras & lenses with no tax in 48 states + 5% off DJI drones
With Photoshop World 2017 well underway, Adorama and B&H are both accepting pre-orders on Sony's newest mirrorless Alpha a9 camera and GM lens, as well as Nikon's D7500 DSLR camera — with no tax collected on orders shipped outside NY and NJ. Plus, save 5% on select DJI drones with coupon or pre-order the Phantom 4 Advanced for $1,349 including tax.
A new set of images purporting to be of the "iPhone 8" rear case have appeared on Chinese social media, but AppleInsider has learned that they are renders, based on recent, alleged schematic 'leaks.'
Popular iOS podcast app Overcast has updated with the ability to sync episodes directly to an Apple Watch, letting runners and others leave home without an iPhone in tow.
Once complete, Apple's data center in Viborg, Denmark will actually redirect heat to warm homes in the surrounding Jutland region, Apple noted this week.
Apple CEO Tim Cook took to Twitter on Friday to mark Turkey's National Sovereignty and Children's Day — which actually takes place Apr. 23 — and to showcase a local billboard campaign, using iPhone photos shot by children.
This week on the AppleInsider podcast, Victor and Dan talk about the uncharacteristic rumors moving Touch ID to the back of the "iPhone 8," Mac Pro hardware rumors, the Mac Gamer, Thunderbolt GPUs and more.
Lending credence to speculation of a coming iPhone "supercycle," market research firm comScore on Thursday released data showing tens of millions of users who own legacy iPhones are primed to upgrade.
Thursday, April 20, 2017
The digital wallet race just lost another contestant, with Plastc Card entering bankruptcy and announcing to investors that it will shut down without ever delivering the digital payment card. Plastc joins Coin—which threw in the towel in February—in the electronic money pit that Apple has avoided with Apple Pay.
Apple CEO Tim Cook wrote a profile of Didi Chuxing president Jean Liu as part of the "TIME 100 Most Influential People" special, offering insight into Apple's investment in the Chinese ride-hailing service.
Apple announced on Thursday that a new feature called "Up Next" has been added to Apple Music, a new video documentary series that promises to feature a new artist every month.
Apple on Thursday launched an Earth Day-related charity promotion promising to donate $1 to the World Wildlife Fund for each purchase made at its stores using Apple Pay.
An report from an Apple Environment Health and Safety contractor — said to have accidentally leaked to hundreds of Apple staff — may point to rumored augmented reality glasses, or some other new eye-related technology.
Mastercard is reportedly testing cards that integrate a fingerprint sensor, intended to offer a more convenient alternative to entering a PIN. Unlike Apple Pay, however, the cards would lack a series of important security features.
More information has emerged about the Chinese government demand that Apple crack down on streaming apps, with a new report circulating claiming that porn streamers are the government's major concern.
Apple and Nike on Thursday revealed a new edition of the Apple Watch Series 2, the Apple Watch NikeLab, essentially a color variation on the Apple Watch Nike+.
Expanding on a recent promise, Comcast on Thursday updated its Xfinity My Account app for the iPhone with support for Apple Pay, letting people handle TV and internet bills using their fingerprint.
Deals: 13" MacBook Pro w/ Touch Bar (512GB) for $1,859 ($140 off); Apple refurb 27" iMac 5K for $1,499 ($800 off); 64GB Apple TV for $169 ($30 off)
Shoppers looking for the lowest price on a 512GB 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar can save $140 at B&H with no tax outside NY and NJ. Or pick up an Apple refurbished 27" iMac 5K (3.3GHz, 8GB, 2TB, M395) for $1,499 ($800 off new). Apple TVs (64GB) are also $30 off.
Not since the discontinuation of the iPhone 4s has Apple sold a handset with an all-glass back, but that's rumored to change this year with the flagship "iPhone 8." In the years between those two models, advances in glass production technology have made it so an all-glass "iPhone 8" could be more robust than you might assume.
Apple has published a set of new videos commemorating Earth Day that explain clean energy technologies, Apple's own environmental protection efforts, and feature Apple employees and executives narrating and explaining the concepts behind the programs.
Apple's approach to original video programming is reportedly scattershot, to the point that the company hasn't settled on a focus, or even who will be in charge.
Despite the company's own dependence on ads, Google is reportedly planning to build a native ad-blocker into the mobile and desktop versions of its Chrome browser — presumably including Apple's iOS and macOS.
"Deliverance," the first track from an album generated by a sound engineer who worked with Prince in 2006 has been pulled from Apple Music, the iTunes Music store, and other streaming services after a challenge from the musician's estate.
In the process of renovating its flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York City, Apple will have to dismantle the famous glass cube that sits over top, according to recently published building permits.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on Thursday published an Apple patent application detailing a method of inserting virtual objects into a real environment, and relocating or removing real objects from the same, using advanced hardware and complex algorithms.
Wednesday, April 19, 2017
As it does every year, Apple on Wednesday began preparing its brick and mortar stores for Earth Day, which falls on Saturday, April 22, by changing the leaf of its familiar illuminated logos green.
- Apple promises future products to be made from 100% recycled materials
- Apple Music scores exclusive rights to Clive Davis documentary
- Apple to offer 2017 Earth Day Challenge Activity achievement with iMessage stickers
- Serial patent troll Acacia Research again sues Apple, cellular carriers over wireless patents
- New mid-April drone footage shows trespasser's view of Apple Park site
- Roundup: The best laptop bags, cases and sleeves for Apple's Late 2016 MacBook Pro
- Why Apple should cater to 'serious' gamers - and why it probably won't
- Apple to expand Search Ads to three international markets, debuts new management tools
- EFF: Google Chromebook is still spying on grade school students
- Apple suppliers withhold royalty payments to Qualcomm amid legal spat
- Apple Maps adds public bike rental stations & UK EV charger networks
- Cartoon Network adds support for Apple's iOS 10.1 TV app, Siri Universal Search
- Withings Home Plus HomeKit security cam cancelled, likely over Nokia-Apple patent spat
- Alphabet Verily begins research on 10,000 patients to 'map human health'
- Microsoft debuts Wunderlist replacement To-Do on iPhone, Mac & iPad coming soon
- AlwaysOnline adds 14 countries to iPad Apple SIM plans, cuts prices
- New Prince song 'Deliverance' arrives on Apple Music & iTunes, full album release in jeopardy
- Apple's efforts to boost in-house chip development amplifies risks to suppliers
- Chinese regulators put pressure on Apple over live streaming titles on App Store
- LaCie announces 2big Thunderbolt 3 RAID dock, compatible with Apple's MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
- Another alleged 'iPhone 8' schematic shows Touch ID home button on back of device, vertical camera
- Apple Music & iCloud users receive unexpected subscription discontinuation alerts
- 'iPhone 7s,' 'iPhone 8' chip orders suggest more than 100 million iPhones on tap by end of year
- Tim Cook accepts Newseum 2017 Free Expression Award, says companies should have values
- Comparison: Which 9.7" iPad is right for you?
- Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 to feature dual camera array ala iPhone 7 Plus
- Snapchat for iPhone gains 3D, augmented reality 'World Lenses'
- Google Maps adds Timeline support on Apple's iPhone & iPad
- Facebook reveals full Apple Music integration in Messenger, AR initiative at F8 conference
- Apple's GarageBand, iMovie, Keynote, Numbers, Pages now free for all iOS & macOS users
- Pandora Premium drops invite system, launches wide with iOS & CarPlay support
- Conde Nast uses Apple's iPhone 7 Plus to shoot covers for 'Bon Appetit,' 'Traveler'
- Apple Pay picks up over 25 more card issuers across US & China
- Availability of Apple's 12.9" iPad Pro slips to May as rumored update looms
- Pornhub launches TrickPics for iOS, an AR photo filter for censoring nude selfies
- State-backed fund may take minority stake in Toshiba's memory unit to prevent foreign buyouts
- Logitech POP programmable button gains Apple HomeKit compatibility with new model
- Teardown finds Samsung Galaxy S8+ battery 'virtually identical' to fire-prone Note 7
- Apple still experimenting with 'iPhone 8' tech including curved screens, new camera systems
- New 'pro' iMac said to have discrete GPU and Xeon E3 processor, ship at end of 2017
- Apple settles Unwired Planet patent suit for undisclosed amount
Tuesday, April 18, 2017